. View this ad or post your own Ruby Job!

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Finding Ruby

As mentioned in my previous post, this blog will record my progress of learning Ruby and Ruby On Rails. I remembering reading somewhere that to use Ruby On Rails, one needs to know the Ruby programming language.

I started off by making a search for "Ruby Quick Start" on the Google search engine. This returned me a list of around 15 sites but unluckily I could not find anything that could get me quickly started on Ruby. I then searched for "Ruby" and amongst the 1000's of listed sites, I chose Ruby: Programmer's Best Friend and Ruby Central. My main problem was to try and figure out the official Ruby site. Update: (31st Oct.) I finally realised that this is the Official Ruby Home Page.

Bruce's article mentioned that Ruby, is the hottest emerging dynamic language. That's fine, but then what's Ruby. I read what seemed to be the official definition of Ruby, but what I liked was when it said "Ruby puts the fun back into programming!"

I wanted to get started with Ruby programming and so clicked on Install Ruby under Windows - A single download that contains everything you need to run Ruby under various Windows operating systems. The version I installed was 1.8.2. Update: (19th Nov.) Ruby releases with even subversion numbers - 1.6, 1.8, and so on - are stable, public releases.

With Ruby installed, I was now ready to get my hands wet with Ruby.

Update (12th Nov. '05) I found an interesting article that talks amongst other things about What is Ruby - Ruby is a pure object-oriented programming language with a super clean syntax that makes programming elegant and fun. Ruby successfully combines Smalltalk's conceptual elegance, Python's ease of use and learning, and Perl's pragmatism. Ruby was created in 1993 by a Japanese, Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a "Matz", and has started to become popular worldwide in the past few years as more English language books and documentation have become available.


First Post | Previous | Next



Technorati Tags: ,
Blogs linking to this article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Valid XHTML 1.0!